Monday, March 14, 2011

The Price is Correct

Hello,

Things are still going great in Southern California. Everyone is up and running and getting in some solid training in preparation for the summer season. I went for my longest run since surgery yesterday: 80 minutes at Point Mugu State Park and hit over 70 miles for the week. The body has been feeling good minus minor aches and pains and standard exhaustion that always happens when trying to build back mileage. That being said, I’m starting to find a rhythm in training and my legs are starting to remember that I’m a runner!

With two more weeks of the beautiful sunshine, there is one thing left on my Southern California bucket-list: become a contestant on The Price is Right.



Step 1: Obtain Tickets. This was way easier than anticipated. You can apply on the Price is Right website for tickets, which is easy enough but there are no guaranteed seats. You have to show up and wait in line and hope that you get in –unless you have a group of 10-15 people. I decided to call the studio and see if they could give us guaranteed seats for a group of 6. They said yes, and the best part is: Tickets are Free!

Step 2: Design T-shirt. Everyone knows that your chances of being picked from the studio audience increase exponentially when you have a really cool custom T-shirt. I’m still trying to figure out what to put on the front, but it will be bright colored and include the words “come on down” and “Drew.” I’m thinking: “Hey Drew, Who has two thumbs and wants to ‘come on down?’” The punch line, of course, is: “This Guy!”



Step 3: Shock and Awe. This step was kind of a bummer to me because, while doing a little research, I discovered that contestants aren’t completely random. All audience members arrive a couple hours early before the taping of the show and the producer walks down the line and says hello to people. This is where you want to stand out from the crowd – say anything to him to differentiate yourself. After that audience members are interviewed in groups of 10. 

Step 4: Have a good reason to be on the show. After reading blogs about others who have been on the show, I’ve realized that I have a couple things working against me. Apparently, the show favors women and comically plump people as contestants, neither of which is me. BUT, my twenty-fourth birthday falls on the 21st and our tickets are for the 22nd. This is a huge advantage for me and I’m hoping it will push me over the edge.

Step 5: Don’t Blow It. My personal nightmare is going on the show and losing. I’ve been practicing a little by watching pieces of the show on YouTube and trying to play the games with the contestants. I do pretty well – especially with the showcases - but some of the games are tricky or based completely on luck, like when you have to punch holes for random amounts of cash or play plinko. When it comes down to it, I would love to have to putt for a car. Maybe I’ll put that on my t-shirt!


Wish Me Luck,

Lex

No comments: