Monday, March 7, 2011

Left Coast Delights

My Sunday long run last week took me over hill and dale, bridge and bluff. It was a perfect day to take in the spectacular views offered by San Francisco’s most famous bridge. Weaving through crowds of spectators sauntering lazily I made my way north into Sausalito, following its rambling coastline. At mile six it was time to turn back and enjoy the journey all over again.



I had much to look forward to following my adventure over the Golden Gate, namely the magnificent culinary delights that San Francisco has to offer. Ever since my last visit to SF I have been longing for a cup of Blue Bottle coffee. Not only is their coffee amazing but it is also an ideal recovery drink following my run.

An April 2008 article in the Journal of Applied Physiology showed that caffeine (when consumed along with carbohydrate) following exercise produces high rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis.

One of the major factors contributing to fatigue is the degredation of muscle glycogen (aka carbohydrate, or the major fuel for exercise). The ability to recover from exercise and perform during the next exercise session is determined by how efficiently muscle replenishes its glycogen stores. It is well documented that consuming carbohydrate and protein in a 4:1 ratio is best for stimulating this process. But, recent research suggests that caffeine may enhance this process even more. Consumption of caffeine (and carbohydrate) post-exercise caused an increased overall rate of resynthesis of muscle glycogen of up to 66% (vs. the consumption of carbohydrate alone). This increase is thought to be due to higher blood insulin and glucose levels resulting from coingestion of caffeine and carbohydrate.

What this means is that a latte, which contains milk (a good source of protein and carbohydrate) and caffeine isn’t a bad idea for a post-run beverage – if that’s your kind of thing.


While coffee wasn’t the driving force for my visit to the Bay Area it was an added bonus. The purpose of my adventure was to see one of my best friends from high school (and another mutual friend who was visiting from the East). Highlights of my trip included sampling some crazy flavors of Humphrey Slocombe ice cream (specifically, peanut curry and Vietnamese coffee), vegan sushi at Cha Ya in Berkeley, riding the BART and a rock concert at the Regency Ballroom.

No comments: