Sunday, October 17, 2010

"That's How I Roll"

Hello everyone!

This is my first blog, so I guess I’ll start off with a shortlist of some of the highlights of my experience in the northeast thus far: Dracula potlucks, Getting to know my new teammates, the abundance of trails in Hanover, Ramunto’s Brick & Brew Pizzeria, New York City for the fifth ave mile, the internet, West Lebanon, Average Wayne’s, and Halo Reach.

I could probably go into great detail on any one of those topics, but I think I’d be more comfortable talking about them all (in no particular order).

1) Dracula potlucks. This is where we drive to the farm (Tim and Bekah’s apartment) and all bring a “spooky dish” to pass while we watch bad Dracula movies with Keanu Reeves and/or Tom Cruise. David Brent is the only one to go the extra distance with the spooky food by bringing his world famous mummy hotdogs and spooky potato salad in cauliflower brain bowl.

2) The abundance of trails in Hanover. To give you an idea of how beautiful it is out here, one of our runs is named “The Sound of Music.” Ben has been our tour guide for the most part, but David and I ran for 2 hours on a set of “new” trails that Ben neglected to show us. We decided that he either A) didn’t have time because of all the other trails, or B) doesn’t like those trails.

3) Ramunto’s Brick & Brew Pizzeria. This is where we go on Tuesdays to test our knowledge on topics about New Hampshire, Pulp Fiction, and Harry Potter. Every week, the loser gets to choose one category for next week’s trivia - we’ve avoided this.

4) Average Wayne’s. This is where we go to get strong. Wayne, or “Wayne-kster” as Tim calls him, is a Dartmouth track alum who knows his way around a weight room. He listens to good music composed by Afro-man, LMFAO, and Eazy-E.

5) West Lebanon. This is where we go to feel at home. There is Wendy’s, Best Buy, and Walmart.

6) Halo Reach. This is where we “pwn the n00bs on the styx, yo,” or in layman’s terms, “play beginner’s on xbox.”  I almost wrote my entire blog about this game, its flaws and inferiority to previous Halo games, but I refrained.

7) New York City for the fifth ave mile. We came, we saw, we conquered. None of us raced (this year). We actually didn’t even watch the race, but did get to visit with and make some good friends!

8) the internet. This is what we use to keep in touch with people from home. It’s a good invention. Thanks Tim Berners Lee!

9) Getting to know my new teammates. (that includes you too Tim and Bekah, Amory and David and Thea and Torin!!). Really, this has been the best part of being in Hanover because pretty much every highlight on my list we’ve done together as an ITA team. It’s comforting to be surrounded by great people even though I’m far from Ann Arbor where I lived my whole life until September!  

Thanks for reading,

-Lex 


No comments: