Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Month In Hanover

First off I would like to start by thanking “In The Arena” and everyone associated with it for giving me this great opportunity to continue training and chasing my athletic goals. I am grateful for the generosity and welcoming attitude that everyone has had since I arrived in Hanover.
The Upper Valley is proving to be a great place to live and train. Moving from the flat pancake known as Michigan, it took me a while to get use to the hilly terrain in New Hampshire and Vermont. Just yesterday our run concluded by running continuously up hill for the last 25 minutes. It was great! there is nothing like that back home in Michigan to train on. The trails are extraordinary and seem to never end. The scenery is top notch as well, mix in the fall foliage and it doesn't get any better. 
The town of Hanover is a great place to reside. Everyone is pleasant, welcoming, and easy to get along with. Hanover is in a perfect location. One minute you are in a college town, next on the Appalachian Trail, and in a short drive you can be in Manchester or Boston. 
The house ITA has provided for us is tremendous. All the guys are fantastic roommates and even better training partners. Surrounding yourself with people that all have the same goals makes training and getting out of bed on those rainy days that much easier. Everyone is motivated and ready to do what needs to be done to be the best we can be in preparation for the 2012 Olympic Trials. I also believe I have proven to be the most valuable Halo player on the xbox. A few days ago I obtained the all time leading low score of -1.
When I decided to come to Hanover I knew there was a possibility that my new coach was going to be more of a redneck than coach. However, he has proven himself to be the man at both. He knows his stuff when it comes to track and field. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be able to accomplish anything under his guidance. He is motivating, knowledgable, and knows what it takes to be successful at this level.
I am excited to start community work with ITA. During my high school and college years I worked at summer camps and numerous other events helping youth and giving back to the community, all which had been gratifying and enjoyable. Anytime you can give back to the community or help those less fortunate is a rewarding endeavor. 
I am looking forward to the next few months of training and getting to know the area even more than I already have. I hope everyone enjoyed my first blog and thanks for reading!!!

David Brent 

No comments: