Sunday, October 10, 2010

Greetings from Hanover

Autumn is upon us here in Hanover, and it feels like my favorite coat from high school – a bit discolored, a little chilly and tattered, but always cherished. After spending the last two years in an unmentionable state where seasons fail to exist, I have been longing for the fall. Real fall. And fall in New Hampshire does not disappoint. 

And for the first fall since before I can remember, I am not making a joyous trip to Staples to load up on Five-Star notebooks and three-ring binders. (I’m not going to lie, the nerd in me misses this; I do not, however, miss spending hundreds of dollars on textbooks.) Luckily for me, my academic career is not entirely over yet. In order to earn a pair of particularly desirable letters to follow my name (i.e. R.D., as in Registered Dietitian), designating me as a nutritionist, I have to pass the Registered Dietitian’s exam. Unfortunately I spent this past summer celebrating the conclusion of my seven straight years of college instead of studying. Not to worry though, I have plenty of time to prepare in the coming months.

In the absence of academic pressures, my time in Hanover has involved little else other than sleeping, eating, running, and the occasional studying session. This is not to say that life as an ITA member is stress-free. There is a little event known as ‘Trivia Night” that takes place on Tuesdays at a local pizza joint in the area, and it is entirely stressful, especially with categories like “Famous Dartmouth Alum”, “New Hampshire” and “Tuck School of Business”. Looks like I found something else that I need to study for.

On another (and more important) note, training has been going great so far. I’m starting to get used to the overabundance of hills and hours of Tim’s drills. My mileage reached a somewhat respectable level of 60 miles this week (highest ever for me!), and we are looking to commence workouts soon.

This fall has brought the lion’s share of changes with it – a new state, a new coach and a new focus. I’m looking forward to what’s to come. Cheers to the fall!

Toni Salucci

No comments: