Wednesday, September 21, 2011

From Thetford to Fenway and back again

Last week we saw witness to our first middle school cross-country race.  Held on the challenging trails of Thetford Academy, my fifth through eighth graders raced around a hilly three kilometer course and displayed mighty pluck and vigor for their first trail race of the season.  We had many great results, including our ferocious little sixth grader leading most of the way, all awhile giving two eighth graders a run for their money, and a dynamic duo of sisters finishing an astounding third and fourth in the women’s race.  It has been great to see the kids get nervous and anxious for races, fidgeting and fluttering over their own pent up excitement.  The sense of accomplishment from finishing the race seen on their faces is as rewarding as it comes.  Practices have been going great and our program which started with only a few runners has blossomed to nearly thirty kids, all of whom only become more and more zealous to run by the day.
And it has not only been my middle schoolers who have been putting in the miles and flying around a race course.  I recently ran my own race amongst a fervor of activity.  Last weekend, after traveling down to Boston to join my family at Fenway Park and watching the Red Sox garner a rare win, I myself continued down the east coast to Rhode Island for the USA 5km road Championships.  Luckily enough after watching the Red Sox post a win, I was able to follow in their footsteps and cross the line first, giving myself my second National road title of the year.  And with only one more race on the docket, I am hoping to be able to continue my good fortune before ending my season.  So if watching the Red Sox helped fuel my winning drive last weekend, hopefully driving back down to Fenway to watch another game with the team tonight will aid me in my last race of the season.  At least it’s worth a try right?
Until next time,
Ben

No comments: