Monday, September 12, 2011

Fall Is Upon Us!

As many of you know by now, Ben and I have started coaching cross-country at Indian River Middle School in Canaan, NH. We've got 29 kids on our roster and have been having a great time coaching. I think my favorite moment so far early this season was putting the kids through a hill workout last week. That's the first time I've ever been on the other side of the workout - from the coach's perspective and not the athlete's.

The highlight of the workout was all of the complaints coming from the kids.  "I can not do any more." "My legs are dead." "This is the hardest thing I've ever done!" All of those came straight out of the kids mouths. So you must think that I'm a sick and twisted coach for liking to hear those things...! But I'm not. You see it's the challenge of turning comments like those around that makes coaching kids so rewarding. One kid in particular was having an especially difficult time on the hills - so I asked him - are you going to be able to walk away from this workout proud of yourself, able to say you gave your very best? I told him I thought he had one more in him. After making the choice to do one more, he comes down the hill with his arms raised and proclaims "I did it! I believed in myself and I did it!" And the best part about that was he continued to do 2 more. It was awesome.

My own training has been going well lately and I'm feeling ready to roll going into the US Road 5k Champs/CVS 5k on Saturday in Providence, RI. For those of you interested in checking out results - or live video on Saturday - here is a link:

http://www.runnerspace.com/USA-5km

Race Time 11:15AM EST.

I hope you tune in and watch as both Ben and I are running. Also - if any of you have been following the standings in the US Road Running circuit, Ben is currently 2nd overall and trying to make a push for the lead this weekend. Just one more cool reason to watch!

Until next time,

-Lex

No comments: