Sunday, August 14, 2011

Putting in the Miles


These last few days I’ve put in the miles- and no, not the good miles seen with hard work and sweat- but the long arduous miles of travel.  I have spent my last week Jet setting across the Atlantic, riding countless trains and driving hundreds of miles in cars.  It’s no wonder I am exhausted.  After spending time in Europe, watching a terrific triathlon, and participating in a 5km myself- I flew back stateside on Tuesday so I would be able to race in the Falmouth Road Race which was held earlier today.  Going into the race I was excited, Falmouth is always a great race to run with wonderful crowd support and thirty-nine years of tradition.  I had high aspirations, despite my somewhat hectic travel schedule, but failed to figure in that whole “fatigue” element.  Who thought that sitting on an airplane all day and driving countless hours wouldn’t be great recovery?  Well, apparently it’s not.  So after toeing the line, and forcing myself through two grueling miles, my body started sputtering, backfiring, and fizzing.  Somehow I was able to navigate the old beaten down chassis around the rest of the course (although I did eye many places were I disparately wanted to pull off) and was able to salvage a respectable, although disappointing, finish.  So time now for me to settle down and lay low for the next few weeks.  To get back into the rhythm of training, put in some of the good miles while avoiding the bad, and recharge the batteries.  There are still a few more races left on this season’s schedule and many more miles to run.
Until next time,
Ben

No comments: