Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Davos!

This past week I have been living the high life in Davos-Platz.  This quiet idyllic little city nestled in the Swiss Alps has been quite the bustling place these last few days, filled with a rare combination of peoples and celebrations.  For starters, every August sees an assemblage of Orthodox Jews for a national religious convention.  Transcending in vast numbers, hotels and apartments are booked beyond capacity.  This year also saw the Swiss Alps Marathon come to town.  Runners from all over the world journeyed to Davos to take part in the half, full, and ultra marathons in the thin mountain air.  And to top it all off- August 1st is Switzerland’s national holiday- complete with street fairs, fireworks, and buffoonery.  It was a great time to be in Davos to say the least.  And all awhile, as the excitement engulfed the town, I was able to have my own reflection.  It happened while I was out for a warm up jog before a rather uneventful workout.  Sauntering around the gravel path which followed the lazy canal through town I happened to look up to watch two Nordic skiers rollerskiing past in a blaze of might and strength.  Their coach frantically trying to keep pace on a mountain bike shouting instruction.  As they glided past, I recognized one of the athletes, his towering frame an image of sheer power, as a man I had once raced many years ago.  It was interesting to see Dario ski past as the same guy who I raced in Finland six years before at the World Junior Championships.  Back in the day we toed the line of the 20 kilometer pursuit, each a newborn to the realm of international ski racing.  Battling back and forth throughout the race, he went on to finish 29th to my 39th, breaking the tape twenty seconds ahead of me.  To think of that happening now, to see how our lives have diverged.  Today I have switch sports, ending my silly dalliance with skiing to focus on running.  And of my rollerskiing compadre?  He went on to be ranked second in the world, an Olympic gold medalist, and winner of numerous World Cup victories.  To watch Dario Colonga stride past, a present day Nordic skiing god, was to watch the pinnacle of sport.  However before I had time to dwell, he sped off out of view, leaving only the echoing of his ski poles striking pavement as a reminder of what had past.  Reminiscing, I shifted my gaze back to the gravel path I was jogging along and cracked a smile- for I was about to begin my own track session and there wasn’t anything else in the world I would rather be doing.
Until next time,
Ben

Showing off my new Swiss bandage
Check out this delicious Swiss holiday bread

1 comment:

walt said...

Great read. Where will you be racing?

And thanks to all ITA members for all you have written and your service to the community.

Best to you.