Monday, August 8, 2011

Not the heat, the humidity!

I have been in Ocean City, NJ for the past week catching up with family and enjoying a week at the beach. The jersey shore gets a bad rap from that piece of trash television show on MTV, but I think it’s great. I consider it almost a second home since I have been out here for at least some amount of time every summer of my life. I used to come out here for the entire month of August when my grandma owned a house in Ocean City and the familiarity of it all makes it feel “homey.” I learned to ride a bike here, bodysurf, and used to run in the Thursday night fun runs at the local high school track! I’ve run a couple workouts there since I’ve been down at the shore with my brother-in-law, Corey Nowitzke, who is a stud steepler (8:27!) that graduated from Eastern Michigan University a few years back. He was calling his trip to Ocean City “training camp” because I dragged him out for all my runs and doubles… Even made him do a couple core sessions with me! He’s training to race the Crim and the Detroit Half Marathon.

This picture took me forever to rotate the correct way, so you better enjoy it.
I have been struggling out here in the humidity… You know, they say it’s not the heat that will get you, but the humidity… And they are right, whoever they may be. Hopefully it will just make me a bit tougher when I race Falmouth next weekend.

There is a serious difference in climate down here in Jersey at the shore compared to Hanover and New England. I start sweating immediately, and even find the air tough to breathe down here when I’m running hard. A few days ago, however, I read an article about training in the heat that said it gives you an advantage over those who train in more temperate climates… According to the article heat training gave the tested cyclists an average advantage of 7%!! That’s almost as good as altitude… So everyone go out there and run in a sweatshirt in the middle of the day! Please don’t do that, I am only joking, but the article is worth a read: http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=23360

Finally, I have been having some wild dreams lately. Strange dreams not worth delving into, but I only found it ironic that this message was on my PF Changs fortune cookie tonight:

I will make the Olympic team in my dream tonight.
 -Lex

PS follow me on Twitter: @lexwllllams

No comments: