Sunday, October 9, 2011

I used to hate running

Good Day Blogospherians,

Yesterday Ben and I became certified safe hunters in New Hampshire. We learned about tree-stand safety, and heard about various hunting rules and regulations from a local conservation officer. I think we are both pretty psyched to get a bit of waterfowl hunting in this fall as a break from all the miles we’ll be logging.

I’ve been on a build back into the fall since my last race at the US 5k. I’ve taken a few days off here and there and a couple weeks off from any hard workouts. Nice to get the mind and body recharged and fired up for a solid block of training to work the ol’ aerobic system. This fall I’ll get in a couple cross-country races, and then have an indoor season! I love indoor track and I get to run a few shorter distances, so I’m excited. I like to say I’m a miler that runs the 10k…!

It’s hard to believe, but the cross country season at the Indian River Middle School is rapidly approaching its end; we only have 2 meets left! One of the meets is this Thursday up in Thetford, VT on a course that we’ve already visited twice. The first time was early in the season, and the second time it was pouring rain and super muddy – so it will be interesting to be able to compare performances from early in the year to now on the same course (Just hope for good weather!). Everyone has been improving throughout the season; it’s not just times dropping, or being able to run longer, but the mentality of the kids and the way they look at running now has changed dramatically when you compare it to the first day of practice. One kid, during the completion of the longest continuous run of his life, told Ben “I used to hate running, but now I love it!” Comments like that make me love coaching.
IRS XC Team Photo with New Adidas Shirts!!

Until next time,

Lex

No comments: