Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A day in the life of a non-athletic Ben

After a long season, I am finally able to take some down time and much needed R & R.  The days are filled quite differently than while training.  Here is a rare inside look at a day in the life of a non-athletic Ben:

7am: Wake up, drink coffee.  Not hungry- this is a weird sensation- the constant craving for food has disappeared.
7:05am: Run outside to put trash and recyclables out.  Shoot, forgot again.
8am: Finally decide to eat.  I fall to the beck and call of blueberry pancakes.
8:45am: Start twiddling my thumbs.  What should I do today?  Try and watch TV.  Quickly become bored and recommence my thumb twiddling.
9am: Drive Sarah insane.
9:30am: Decide to make something of myself, go upstairs, brush teeth, put on a clean t-shirt.
10am: Back downstairs, try watching TV again.  Getting fidgety.  Load my car up with the remaining (forgotten) recyclables.
10:20am: Decide that the back deck is dirty and begin sweeping it.
10:22am: See the picnic table is broken.  Decide to fix it.
10:25am: More leaves fall onto the back deck, have to sweep it again.
10:45am:  Fed up by the constant barrage of leaves falling on deck, give up sweeping and go inside.
11am: Telephone interview with Runner’s World Magazine
12pm: Telephone interview with USATF
12:30pm: Make lunch.  Takes about 40min to figure out what I want.  I choose spaghetti and way too much garlic.
2pm: Leave the house and drive to the dump to drop off the left over (forgotten) recyclables
2:20pm: Grocery shop
2:40: Donate various items to the Haven (www.uppervalleyhaven.org)
3:05pm: Return home, annoy Sarah some more.
3:27pm: Exhausted.  Take a nap
4:45pm: Wake up.  Large puddle of drool on pillow.  Decide to mow the lawn- but don’t make it outside.  Oops.
5pm: Putz around on computer
6:07pm: Annoy Sarah again.  Get stern look.
6:48pm: Write a to-do list and cross off items I already completed to make myself feel better.
7pm: Ask Sarah if the green peppers should be cut.  Get yelled at for being an annoyance
7:10pm: Finish making dinner.  Watch movie Max and Mary.
9:49pm: Brush a disgusting amount of fur out of the Otz-man.  How can he shed that much?

10:03pm: Walk the Otz-man around Wilder
10:44pm: Roommate walks into house.  Everyone high fives each other
10:45pm: Eat a dozen cookies right from the oven.  Feel great, then stomach feels sick.
11pm: Sit down and write blog
11:20pm: Fall asleep after long day of not running
Until next time,
Ben

2 comments:

John said...

Hi Ben! Congrats on your awesome runs this season. I just saw the usatf writeup, and I'm looking forward to the RW article. I'm making you sign my copy next time I'm back up north. -J

BigBro said...

oh man...if these are your days I pray that you get training soon! reading this drove me crazy!