Wednesday, July 27, 2011

PEMI Youth 5k/10k

Good day everyone!

I hope you are enjoying the summer, it is in full effect! I ran another local race this past weekend in Plymouth, NH… In fact, I ran two races! I ran a 5k in 14:44, setting a new course record by 25 seconds then ran a 10k 15 minutes later in 31:26, setting another course record. I had an 8 mile tempo on my workout schedule and discovered these races online so Broe gave me the option to do the tempo by myself or hop in and get the hard effort in on the race course. It was a no brainer for me, and much easier to do the work with other runners around me. It was a fun local environment too and met some new people.




The races were both hosted by the PEMI Youth Center, who has after school programs going on in Plymouth. One of the people I met was the coordinator at the Youth Center who I’m meeting with sometime in August to talk about how they got started and what they’ve got going on down there. I’m hoping that our meeting will give me some ideas for how to get even more involved in the communities surrounding the Upper Valley and maybe even creating something from scratch.

Other than the recent races, there hasn’t been a whole lot of action in Hanover. I’ve just been training hard, recovering, and trying to enjoy all the nice weather we’ve been getting. I have my training plan all set up from now through the US 5k - complete with a couple time trials. So between the time trials and Falmouth I should have plenty of ammunition for future blogs.

This weekend I am heading down to Ocean City, NJ to meet up with my family for a week at the beach. My grandma lived there for 35 years and I have been to the jersey shore every summer of my life. My parents rent a place down there now and all of my relatives from my mom’s side will be there, so it’s somewhat of a family reunion. I am looking forward to getting a macaroon from George’s on the Boardwalk, the world’s best cheesesteak from Voltaco’s, and seafood from Smitty’s and The Lobster House! I honestly think there is some of the best food in the world there. I didn’t even mention the sticky buns from Mallon’s, Uncle Bills pancake house, Donuts from Brown’s, Johnson’s Caramel Corn, Soft-serve at Kohr’s, Pizza from Prep’s/Mack & Manco’s, and the Polish Water Ice… Unreal! This is a dangerous trip… but to give you a hint of how great the food really is, my sister and bro-in-law named their dog “Manco” after the second best pizza place on the island (I’ve always been a fan of the Prep’s pie)… 

-Lex
@lexwllllams

1 comment:

Steve Rand, Race Dir. said...

Lex, I loved it that you wrote about our race in Plymouth. I'm not sure how often people do what you did winning both of our races, but I think it was amazing. Thanks for making the trip to the Pemi Youth Center 5/10K.