Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Top of the Heap

This past weekend I took a respite from Hanover’s increasingly chilly temps and spent some time at my beloved Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. While it’s been a few years since I last toed the line at this historic cross country course (a line that is ever-changing these days due to never-ending construction), I hope to do it again some time in the future.

The occasion for my visit to VCP was to cheer on my alma mater, Cornell, at the 2010 cross country “Heps” (aka the Ivy League Championships). Having been a part of four major conference championship meets, as either an athlete or coach (Atlantic 10, Heps, Big 10 and ACC), I can say that there is definitely something special about the Heps. The small size of the conference makes for an intimate atmosphere. And you are left in a state of tense anticipation until team scores are posted – since it seems like everyone has someone up front.

The allure of VCP stems from the inherent uncertainty in the race that the course provides; that and some punch-you-in-the-legs-hills. The first mile is flat around an open field. Mile two takes runners into the woods and through the back hills of the park – leaving coaches and spectators in the dark. The back hills present both a physical and tactical challenge. The constant turns, ups and downs make it difficult to see where your competitors are. Once runners re-enter the field, there remain less than 1000 meters to the finish.

Cool temps and a dry course provided ideal conditions for the race. Princeton dominated (as many expected), winning the team and individual titles for both men and women. The Cornell women had a solid race but finished a disappointing 4th behind Columbia and Brown. The Big Red women return many of its top runners so I am excited about their future. On the men’s side the local Dartmouth team ran an impressive race to finish 2nd (I was probably the only person sporting red cheering on the Big Green).

I spent the rest of the weekend in the NYC/Westchester area visiting old friends. I had a fantastic long run at Rockefeller Park where, of course, I managed to get lost. For anyone who finds him or herself in the Westchester area, I would highly recommend a journey along Rockefeller’s picturesque trails – but plan to do a long run so you can enjoy getting lost too.

Toni

No comments: