Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Week That Was

So, I’m not going to lie, this week has been awesome. Good times had by all, suffice to say. For me, it was my first full week back to running after my turbulent little mishap a little over a month ago, and boy was it glorious. Thursday saw my first workout of the season: a simple six mile tempo run in the freezing rain (a good old welcome back slap in the face if you ask me), and Saturday I was able to kid myself with a shortened long run -complete with an uninterrupted five and a half mile stair-stepping uphill, ranging from gradual to grimacing. Needless to say, I was in Heaven. This week we also saw the return of “Just Below Average,” our very own top-notch trivia team, where we gallantly battled into contention for the win before sadly falling short in the final round.

But more importantly, this week saw the inauguration of ITA’s involvement in the program Everybody Wins. Everybody Wins, or EW, is a school based initiative which seeks to promote and improve reading in local elementary schools. Every Wednesday we all pile into a car and drive down to the Mt. Lebanon Elementary school where we meet up with our fourth graders and read to them during their lunch hour. Even after only one session the experience has been remarkable. My little buddy is as excited and fluttered to read as anyone I know, and is already whipping through novels like nobody’s business. Currently we are reading The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and yes I’ll admit, I am very happy he is such a good reader so I can sit back, bask in the story line, and admire the Garth Williams prints adorning the pages.

Everybody Wins, is only the beginning of ITA’s involvement with the local community. Currently we are working with various proposals to formulate and execute a plan to promote healthy lifestyles and to curb the rising obesity epidemic in America. Our plan, as ambitious as it sounds, is to start here in the Upper Valley by working with local schools to help instill an active and healthy lifestyle into the youth of the area. By focusing on the younger generation, we hope to inspire a lifetime of healthy living and help construct a ripple effect to other aspects of the community. I am very aware about the selfishness that is professional running, and I feel very humbled and honored to be able to be apart of a team that prides itself on giving back to its community -for it takes an entire village to raise a man. I cannot wait to begin working with more schools and implementing our new initiatives, as well as to begin to make a difference in the lives of others. Thank you ITA for this opportunity, thank you.

Until next time, never false

Ben

No comments: