Monday, June 6, 2011

So What Do You Contain?

Recently I received the honor to grace the pages of the New England Runner Magazine as the background of the table of contents.  Interesting really, why someone would pick me- flowing locks and all- to adorn the glossy pages of a publication.  They must of really been struggling for photos when the editor decided on this one.  I can just see him now, haggled away in his dark room (I am only assuming he is male; ogreish, short, fat, slightly hunched with jowled jaws full of scraggly teeth set at odd angles... but I digress) cursing as the only photo available is one depicting a boyish brute, deep in concentration, attempting to hurdle over a log all awhile his untamed mane flops and fizzes amok in a sweaty mess.  Beauty, eh?  




But to be far, it isn’t as though the photographer had much to work with, and I must say, I do feel a twinge of pride to see that ugly mug in printed form.  But looking down at a photo of myself, laced by the headline stories contained therein, I begin to wonder, what do I contain?  What is inside me?  What are the stories hidden deep within my pages?  The brutal honesty of self-reflection can be bitting.  Everyone must take time to reflect on their ideas, motives, aspirations and actions.  You must step back and figure out what really is going on inside of you.  What is making you run?  You tick?  You wake up every morning?  What is it that you contain?  For me, this photo, this depiction of a determined soul hurdling over all obstacles and striving, suffering, and willing himself towards the finish, well, that’s me.  Literally and metaphorically.  My eyes are set on new finish lines as my track season is just beginning to get underway.  The heart races and the muscles twitch in anticipation as I await my new chances to display what I contain, to unleash my inner being and reveal what’s hidden beneath my cover. 
Until next time, the truth inside
Ben

No comments: