Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It Is Decidedly So.


Well folks, this is it! It’s my last day in New Hampshire before I depart to the Midwest for a couple races and a short trip back home to Michigan. I’m running the US 8km Championships in Carmel, IN on Saturday, going home for a few days to visit family and friends in Ann Arbor, and then hopping back down to Peoria, IL for the Steamboat Classic (4 mile road race) the following weekend.


I have been planning on these races for a looong time, and it’s crazy how fast they sneak up on you. Broe and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that (in reference to my foot surgery) it “seems like just yesterday you were back home on the couch designing halo maps.” I have to agree. It was months ago since I was stranded on my parents couch with a boot on my foot - In fact - I have not been back to Pure Michigan since December, but when you take your training 1 day at a time and start stringing weeks together, those weeks turn into months – and before you know it – race day is here!

It’s actually crazy how much has gone by since my freak show injury, but you don’t tend to think about it as much as a professional as you would as a collegiate. There’s no sense of urgency to score points at a conference meet or peak for three different seasons! You just simply take your time, evaluate what is in your best interest, and get after it. This is the first time in a while I’ve felt really really ready… chomping at the bit to open up a season, and the concrete in Carmel is out there waiting for me.

So seeing as tomorrow is the day I hop on a plane, I’ve been doing all sorts of last minute things like getting my hair cut (no speed stripes), doing laundry, and getting my spray on tan. I also called up a meteorologist to check the pollen levels and read my horoscope. Sometimes if the stars aren’t aligned, or my tarot cards don’t fall into place I am unable to run. The final say whether I will run or not comes from my magic 8-ball, and lucky for me:


 -Lex

No comments: