Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kaboom!

I would like to congratulate Brian, Ben, and Lex who all ran very well yesterday!!!!! Well done fellas!!!! 

Today I awoke and went to the kitchen as usual to do morning things. While eating breakfast it was pointed out to me that today was Dartmouth’s commencement and that Conan O’Brien was giving the commencement address. With this exciting news I quickly got ready, made a quick pit stop at the coffee shop, and went to watch the ceremony. 
The first 1/2 to 2/3 of Conan’s speech he heckled Dartmouth to no end. 

"Yes, I've done my research. This college was named after the Second Earl of Dartmouth, a good friend of the Third Earl of UC Santa Cruz and the Duke of the Barbizon School of Beauty. Your school motto is "Vox clamantis in deserto," which means "Voice crying out in the wilderness." This is easily the most pathetic school motto I have ever heard. Apparently, it narrowly beat out "Silently Weeping in Thick Shrub" and "Whimpering in Moist Leaves without Pants." Your school color is green, and this color was chosen by Frederick Mather in 1867 because, and this is true—I looked it up—"it was the only color that had not been taken already." I cannot remember hearing anything so sad. Dartmouth, you have an inferiority complex, and you should not. You have graduated more great fictitious Americans than any other college. Meredith Grey of Grey's Anatomy. Pete Campbell from Mad Men. Michael Corleone from The Godfather. In fact, I look forward to next years' Valedictory Address by your esteemed classmate, Count Chocula. Of course, your greatest fictitious graduate is Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. Man, can you imagine if a real Treasury Secretary made those kinds of decisions? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Now I know what you're going to say, Dartmouth, you're going to say, well "We've got Dr. Seuss." Well guess what, we're all tired of hearing about Dr. Seuss. Face it: The man rhymed fafloozle with saznoozle. In the literary community, that's called cheating."

It was hilarious! 


However, the last 5-10 minutes he got somewhat serious and had a quote that really pertains to challenges in life. It currently is exactly how I feel about my track season and I hope it can give inspiration to anyone else facing similar challenges. 
The quote is as follows:
“In 2000 I told graduates to not be afraid to fail, and I still believe that. But today I tell you that whether you fear it or not, disappointment will come. The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality.” 
Yesterday, was more than likely my last attempt at hitting some sort of USA qualifier for this year..................and once again it wasn’t quite good enough. I ran 3:47 for 1500m @ the NB Boston Twilight and had I had a few more weeks of training, I would have been where I needed to be. Heck, last nights race felt great! almost easy! but I should have been running better than yesterday, weeks/months ago. 
Conan was right. Because of the last 6 months, the most difficult, frustrating, and challenging track season I ever had, I now know exactly what needs to be done in preparation for next year, the year that really counts. Through numerous trials and error, preparation emotionally, physically, and mentally for a year from now is crystal clear :)
Lastly, I stumbled across this video the other day. I am sure many of you have seen this clip before, but if you have not you will enjoy it!



Cheers! 

David 

P.S. During the typing of this blog I had to change locations. The transformer outside our house decided to explode, what excitement that was!!!! We are therefore left without power and no internet. So, I would like to thank Dartmouth College, I am sitting outside a random campus building borrowing their internet :)

No comments: