Thursday, May 26, 2011

There's a Storm Brewing

I am a huge fan of thunderstorms, and it looks like we may have a few on the way. Bring it mother nature :) 


Yesterday afternoon was a blast! A few of us drove down to Springfield VT to coach the Hanover 6th grade track team. They all performed superbly and it was a real joy to see some of our coaching advice put to the test. It is exciting to see the kids surprise themselves in an event and gain confidence. I believe that is one of the greatest joys in coaching, getting an athlete to do something that they had no idea they were capable of. 
I would also like to give a shout out to our long jump coach Alex and his athletes who had a 1,2,3 finish in the triple jump. Congratulations to them and all of the Hanover athletes that participated yesterday!
On the running front, training is going great. For the short amount of time I have been given to try and get a USA qualifier, training is swiftly progressing. I improved this past weekend with my 2nd steeple of the season. Saturday night I was able to shave a few seconds off my previous steeple opener and run 8:53 at the Indianapolis high performance meet. 
Returning from injury and trying to get in the best possible shape, as quickly as possible is a challenging task. To get race ready in a matter of a few weeks is a tricky game to play as a distance runner. Unfortunately, distance running it is not like cramming for an exam. It would be nice if I could just drink an abundance of red bull and coffee to fuel myself and run all day and night to get back in race shape.............Wouldn’t that be nice :) There is a fine line you have to flirt with. It can be difficult to find the right amount of training to do and not over work yourself, resulting in being constantly tired (save that for the fall). As well as not under do it and be to cautious, therefore not get any better and not ready come race time. I believe coach and I have it figured out. The next few weeks I hope will produce great results!! 
Currently it is 80 degrees and sunny, therefore it is time to go fishing before it storms. 
Have a great end of the week and thanks for reading!!!!
David 

No comments: