Sunday, May 22, 2011

National Running Day is June 1st!

Written Saturday 5/21:

As I sit here watching PBR (Professional Bull Riding) on Versus, waiting for the races to come on streaming over the interweb… I am wondering – Do the readers of this blog know where to watch track and field? If you don’t you need to go to Flotrack.org immediately. The site is awesome. They cover every major track and field event throughout the year and either stream or post the races on their website for free. It’s awesome for the sport, and awesome for friends and family who still want to watch our races and aren’t able to travel to all the meets. Here is the link to the coverage from yesterday at Occidental (which streamed live last night, aka just after I typed this part of my blog):


I have a mild addiction to the site and check it at least once a day to see what new content is on. I am a track and field fan too!!

Besides watching the races last night and paying attention to the track and field happenings around the country at the professional level, the highlight of the week for me was when not one, but TWO of the Hanover Middle School athletes asked me for interviews for unrelated school reports!! One was from a girl who I “made” run the mile in their last meet. I signed her up because I knew she could win, and guess what – she came through! Not bad for your first mile race ever… I can’t take total credit for this though. It took encouragement from every ITA member and all of her teammates to get her to toe the starting line! It was great fun though – we had the whole team up and cheering for her the entire time. She took the lead right from the gun and had quite a bit left with 200m to go when I started yelling at her to run as fast as she could to the finish!! Good ole’ middle school track is endless with these types of stories. For the second school report, I am being interviewed for a paper. I have no idea what it entails.

As far as my training is going, it is well! Ben and I rocked a long run this morning on some hilly Vermont dirt roads, then I took a stroll down to the brook about a half mile from our house and stood in it for 15 minutes. Sometimes outdoor “ice baths” are just more fun. I am keeping with the long hard tempos and intervals for the most part, but got to do some quarters on Friday. I keep getting more and more excited as my race approaches on June 11th in Carmel, IN – The US 8km Championships. Can’t wait.

Also – another cool thing that is coming up – National Running Day is June 1st!! From the website (http://www.runningday.org/):

National Running Day, held annually on the first Wednesday in June, is a day when runners everywhere declare their passion for running. Wherever we are and whomever we’re with, we run—fast or slow, alone or with others, all over town or just around the block. It is a coast-to-coast celebration of a sport and activity that’s simple, inexpensive, and fun. It’s the perfect way for longtime runners to reaffirm their love of running and for beginners to kick off a lifetime and life-changing commitment.

Follow the ITA Twitter account (@itanhteam) for our “I Run…” statements leading up to the big day. Or follow me (@lexwllllams) as I tweet at celebrities and hope for a response.

Thanks for readin’!

-Lex


No comments: