Thursday, February 24, 2011

BGCA and Fish Tacos

Hello!

I always go back through the last person’s blog to make sure I don’t repeat what the person before me has said. I did not plan to comment on the dodgeball game at the Boys and Girls Club last Friday – However, Ben made it sound like it was a close game… It was not. The kids are superior to us in every way when it comes to that game. I’m sure we will get a chance at redemption this Friday.

The time I’ve spent at the Boys and Girls clubs in Ventura has been a great experience for me. From Monday to Thursday we are at one club on Johnson street in Ventura, and Friday we visit two separate clubs in nearby Oak View and another at West Vince Street. At the Johnson street club I have done everything from helping kids learn about Native American tribes in California, to playing pool/foosball/monopoly, to creating several pieces of artwork in the art room, attended a juggling class with the kids, and have played games in the gym. At the other clubs we have been in charge of leading stretching, and games such as Sharks and Guppies, Kickball, Capture the Flag, Relay Races, and (of course) Dodge ball. It has been fun to say the least!

I made this house in art class.


From the training side of things, I have been doing great. I ran an hour today and am alternating 45 mins and 60 mins each day for the remainder of the week. I’ve also been swimming every day, I swam 3x1000m yesterday and set a new PR in the 50m today at 31.14 seconds. David and I have been competing in the pool and it is making it way easier to stay motivated to get some extra work done. I’m very proud of my new glory in the pool, and am considering shaving my entire body and jumping off the blocks at an attempt to break 30.

On Monday to celebrate Presidents day, David, Toni, and I drove to Venice Beach (aka Muscle Beach) for our run. I could people watch there all day and not get bored. The only way I can describe it is to say it’s like a circus combined with a weight room, skate park, New York street vendors, and a beach. David and I saw Craig Robinson (from the Office, Hot Tub Time Machine, Pineapple Express, etc.) sitting on a bench by the Basketball courts where White Man Can’t Jump was filmed. That was pretty neat. We also watched the movie I Love You, Man the night before we went there and so we had to stop at James Beach for “the best fish tacos in the world. Literally. Ranked.”

A little pricey, but definitely worth it.
 protip: Tuesday night is the "I Love You Man" special aka Taco Tuesday.
Fish Tacos $15 instead of $19, and they come with soup or salad. And yes, we went on Monday.


'Til Next Time, 

-Lex

No comments: