Friday, September 10, 2010

In Their Own Words

More than a week has passed since the inaugural ITA NH Team gathered in the Connecticut River's Upper Valley to start their preparations for the 2011 season. And while they've been busy exploring their new training town's trails and roads; getting the lay of the land in Hanover; doing strength workouts, plyometrics and drills (all at Dartmouth College's generously-offered facilities); and even attending to more mundane details like getting internet piped into their living spaces; they've also had some time to sit down and reflect on answers to questions both serious and decidedly unserious. Here are a few excerpts from a Q&A with three of ITA NH's athletes:

What's exciting about being an inaugural member of the ITA NH Team?

Ben True
: ITA NH is the perfect opportunity for me to not only cultivate my own athletic dreams, but to help kids in the community create their own dreams and ambitions.

Brian Gagnon: I am really excited to join this team because I believe we have the potential to be one of the best track clubs in the country. We have a great group of guys and a wonderfull staff who as of yet has been nothing but supportive! A big thing that made me choose to come to this group aside from a great team/training environment was the involvement with youth groups and being a positive role model. If I didn't have my older brother Peter to look up to and help me out I wouldnt be where I am today.

Lex Williams: I’m excited to be able to continue competing at a high level and have such a great opportunity to better myself as an athlete while making a positive impact in the community.

When was the first time you ran competitively?

Ben True:
As a young whippersnapper in grade school.

Brian Gagnon: Freshman year high school XC. I wouldn't exactly say it was competitive but, hey, you got to start somewhere!

Lex Williams: I started running track and field when I was 7 or 8 through the Hershey’s track and field program.

What’s your favorite pre-competition meal?

Ben True:
Bread, lots of bread and honey.

Brian Gagnon: Anything light! But if it's the night before or the night between a prelim and a final, then its definitely Sushi!

Lex Williams: Chicken Parm.

When it comes to working with kids, what pearls of wisdom are you most keen to offer them?

Ben True:
Keep it fun.

Brian Gagnon: Not to give up despite what other people say. When I went to college a teacher that I had a lot of respect for told my coach that I was just going to be another kid from Lowell who goes to a big DI school just to fail and be back in Lowell by year's end.

Lex Williams: To have fun with whatever it is that you are doing; that will lead you to find something you are truly passionate about.

Who are your role model(s)/mentor(s)?
Ben True: Anyone who gives 100% of themselves to be able to live out their dreams and follow their passions.

Brian Gagnon: My oldest brother Peter and my college track coach Greg Roy.

Lex Williams: Ron Warhurst. He is the reason I am still running today.

What’s your favorite indulgence?

Ben True:
Napping.

Brian Gagnon: A nice greasy burger or if I had a lot of money I would over-indulge in Sushi!

Lex Williams: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Check back soon for another installment of our Q&A with the three other members of the ITA NH Team, plus a few more nuggets of wisdom from Ben, Brian and Lex.

No comments: